History Has Proven Marijuana’s Validity as a Medicine
There is a big debate as to whether marijuana is medicine. This is directly due to the fact that for the past 8 decades we have had a smokescreen of lies pertaining to cannabis fed to us upon a silver platter.
We have had politicians state things such as the following in regards to cannabis over the years which has both started the fire that fueled prohibition as well as kept it burning for the past 80 years.
“Permanent brain damage is one of the inevitable results of the use of marijuana.” – Ronald Reagan
“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast.” – Ronald Reagan
“Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind. ” – Harry Anslinger
The movie Reefer Madness kicked off the almost century-long era of propaganda with leading people to believe things like consuming marijuana would make you kill your family or even yourself.
What many people do not realize is that marijuana has been around for thousands of years and until the early 1930s it was a major part of the medical pharmacopeia around the world. Not only has marijuana been used for medicine for centuries throughout its history it has never once lead to a fatality. The worst side effects that one might receive from consuming cannabis is nausea, dizziness, dry mouth, the munchies and in severe cases increased heartrate or anxiety. These very rare potential side effects diminish quickly with hydration and rest. This is amazing in comparison to the side effects and fatality rates associated with FDA approved pharmaceutical medications.
Let’s look at a few of the ways that cannabis has proven its effectiveness as a safe medicine throughout history for a variety of different ailments.
- The history of cannabis as a medicine is a strong one within the Chinese The Chinese were infamous for utilizing almost every aspect of the plant for making medicines, and the oil was often used to assist with preventing baldness.
- The Chinese also utilized cannabis in a wide variety of different forms to treat various types of poisoning including sulfur poisoning and Vermillion poisoning. Medical cannabis was also utilized to extract the poison associated with scorpion stings.
- The Chinese are also responsible for what very well may be the first recorded medical use of cannabis in history. There is proof that the Chinese have used cannabis as an anesthetic since as far back as the year 140. Cannabis was crushed into powder which was mixed with wine and given to patients before surgery. This would make perfect sense as many of the cannabinoids within cannabis provide pain relieving and anti-inflammatory benefits.
- The Chinese were not the only ones throughout history to utilize cannabis for its pain relieving benefits. Ancient Egyptians often utilized cannabis in a suppository form to treat the pain associated with hemorrhoids.
- The Greeks were also known for utilizing cannabis to treat a wide variety of different ailments. One of these was by eating cannabis seeds to expel tapeworms from the body. Ancient Greeks were also known for using cannabis leaves or cannabis-based salves to treat wounds suffered by their horses during battle.
- Cannabis consumption during pregnancy and the effects on the unborn child are widely debated today. However, in India mothers have utilized cannabis to ease the pain associated with childbirth throughout history.
- There is also proof of cannabis being utilized as a medicine by the Arabs to treat epilepsy and by the Greeks for its anti-inflammatory
These are just a few of the many proven uses of cannabis throughout history.
Since the war on drugs and the prohibition of cannabis began people have been forced to choose between medicating naturally with cannabis illegally or utilizing pharmaceutical medications with a plethora of horrible side effects.
While many have chosen to take the self-medicating illegal route many due to work and family obligations, have been forced to medicate synthetically which has led to a consistent decline in global health over the past century.
Luckily today things are starting to change, and there are 24 states in the United States as well as a few countries around the world including Canada, Australia, and Uruguay that have recognized marijuana for the medicine that it is. Even renowned doctors are finally coming forward and shedding light on the truths surrounding this amazing medicine.
Sanjay Gupta is probably one of the most well-known doctors to speak out in favor of cannabis. Dr. Gupta can be quoted stating the following in regards to the prohibition of cannabis in the United States and the many medical benefits associated with marijuana.
“We have been terribly and systematically misled for nearly 70 years in the United States.”
“I am here to apologize.”
“The science is there. This isn’t anecdotal.”
“It doesn’t have a high potential for abuse, and there are very legitimate medical applications.”
“It could potentially help people who really need it and it’s not being offered.”
And my favorite in regards to not only medical uses but also recreational use of marijuana;
“I cannot find the harm in it.”
Just like the Greeks, the Chinese and the Arabs have been utilizing cannabis for a wide variety of medicinal therapies throughout history today we are once again seeing a world that is turning back to the natural, safe and proven option of cannabis and finding great relief for many different ailments.
Now for your enjoyment, one of my favorite quotes pertaining to marijuana as a medicine and what it can offer not only our bodies but also our minds, spirits and souls.
“A marijuana high can enhance core human mental abilities. It can help you to focus, to remember, to see new patterns, to imagine, to be creative, to introspect, to empathically understand others, and to come to deep insights. If you don’t find this amazing you have lost your sense of wonder. Which, by the way, is something a high can bring back, too.” ― Sebastian Marincolo